วันอาทิตย์ที่ 5 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2551 | |

Not For Sissies

Recently I got together with an old friend (pun intended). The problem is, it took us a couple of tries to get it right.

Get what right? you're probably thinking. Although in retrospect it seems simple, I'm referring to both people being in the same location at the same time ... on the same day. Either I was a day early or she was a day late. When I arrived at what (I still think) was the pre-agreeed place--a few minutes early, mind you, but on the right day--I used the cell phone to place a slightly irritated phone call. Where are you? I asked.

The response I got, equally irritated, isn't one that I would offer to a newspaper suitable for families. The short version was you've got the wrong day. Irritation quickly turned to light-hearted banter, each assuming an exaggerated but concerned tone about the other's failing memory. We quickly decided that the conversation was going nowhere fast but just as quickly found an area of agreement--this aging thing can be a bit harsh!

You may be as surprised as I was to discover that I am not the first one to make this observation. From Bette Davis to Art Linkletter and Willard Scott. People have been telling us for years that old age is not for sissies. At the same time, however, we're told that aging with flair is simply a case of mind over matter--as in, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

I admit that some days I have a hard time sorting it all out. How many times do I need to joke about wishing for longer arms? Or forget what I'm doing in the middle of searching for one of a dozen pairs of reading glasses? How do I really feel about living with a waist that is wider and hair that is thinner? And speaking of hair, why does it fall out of places we'd like to have it and muliply like bunnies in the places that it's at least a little bit unwelcome?

Most days I choose to laugh.

Lawrence Bienemann is the RSVP Program Coordinator in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. You can reach him by e-mail at lawrenceb@rcn.com

0 ความคิดเห็น: